St George’s was built in 1888 to serve the growing population of Jesmond, then a rural suburb on the outskirts of Newcastle upon Tyne, and was funded by the generosity of Charles Mitchell, a local shipbuilder and industrialist.
The Church is a Grade 1 listed building reflecting a fusion of Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau styles with its distinctive campanile bell tower, outstanding mosaics and stained glass, and artefacts crafted by some of the finest craftsmen of the day.
As a thriving, active and inclusive congregation, we relish in the opportunity to be open to the whole community, both of all faiths and none. A wide variety of social and community activities take place throughout the week. We come together to worship on Sundays and are delighted when new people join us.
St George’s, Jesmond hugely values all contributions, large or small, to our work which includes mission and community initiatives at home and abroad, as well as the upkeep of our buildings. Thank you.
To donate securely online through MyDonate, please click here.